Are You a Carer?
There is a wealth of information on the NHS Choices website about carers and caring. Below are some links to the site that we hope you will find useful.
- Caring for a parent – Watch this video on: caring for a parent at home.
- Telling people – Caring responsibilities can make it difficult to maintain friendships or develop new ones. Telling your friends you’re a carer is important so they understand and can support you.
- Taking a break – Caring for someone can be a full-time job, but it’s essential that you take time out for yourself too. Read our guide to accessing breaks and respite.
- Housing and carers – Do you know your tenancy rights as a carer? Are you aware of all your care at home options? Do you need tips on moving someone around the home?
Finance and Law
Help claiming benefits, looking after your bank balance, and understanding the legal issues of caring.
- Benefits for carers – Directing carers to the benefits that can help them in their caring role.
- Benefits for the person you care for – Advice and information on helping the person you look after get the benefits that they are entitled to.
- Death and benefits – How your benefits maybe affected after the death of the person you look after and what happens to their benefits.
- Managing someone’s legal affairs – Advice for when carers find they have to take over the legal affairs of the person they are looking after.
- Other benefits – Advice for carers and the people they are looking after on claiming a whole host of other benefits unrelated to their disability or caring.
- Personal and household finance – Advice on keeping a tight rein on household and personal finance for carers.
- Social fund
- Tax credits – Information on claiming tax credits and whether you might be eligible.
Contact Carers Direct
Lines are open 8 am to 9 pm Monday to Friday, 11 am to 4 pm at weekends. Calls are free from UK landlines.Tel: 0808 802 0202